Orthodontics is a specialized branch of dentistry that is based on the correction of a person’s jaws and teeth that are not positioned properly. Teeth that are crooked or that do not fit together properly are much harder to keep clean, and at a higher risk of being lost early on due to periodontal disease and tooth decay. Additionally, these improperly placed teeth can create extra stress on a person’s chewing muscles and ultimately lead to headaches, back and shoulder pain or TMJ syndrome.
When you seek the care of an orthodontist in Gilbert AZ you will receive many benefits, including a more aesthetically pleasing appearance, a much healthier mouth and teeth that are much more likely to last your entire lifetime.
A specialist in the field of orthodontics is called an orthodontist. These individuals have achieved more than two years of education, in addition to their four years spent in dental school.
Determining if you Need an Orthodontist in Gilbert, AZ
If you need the services of an orthodontist, your dentist will let you know. This recommendation will be based on tests, your dental history and a clinical exam. If orthodontics service is recommended, then they will be able to develop a specialized treatment plan for your specific needs.
Some of the most common reasons that you will be a candidate for orthodontic treatment include:
* Overbite: This is often called buck teeth, and occurs when the front teeth stick out over the lower ones;
* Underbite: This creates a bulldog appearance, where your lower teeth are pushed forward or upper teeth pushed back;
* Crossbite: This occurs when the upper teeth are not closing in an appropriate manner in front of the lower teeth;
* Open bite: This is when there is space in between the biting surfaces of the front and back teeth;
* Misplaced midline: This occurs when the teeth in the front do not line up with the center of the lower teeth.
* Spacing: If you have spaces or gaps in your teeth;
* Crowding: When you have too many teeth in the dental space.
The orthodontist in Gilbert AZ will choose from a plethora of treatment options including braces, aligners, lip and cheek bumpers and palatal expanders, to name a few.